Anaphylactic shock is a life-threatening situation that requires immediate therapy. The prognosis depends on the severity of the allergic reaction and the time until therapy is started. Therefore, after an anaphylactic shock, people are given an emergency kit and are trained in its use.
The best way to avoid a new anaphylactic reaction is to avoid the triggering substance. For some allergy triggers there is the possibility of hyposensitization (also called specific immunotherapy). This is used especially for wasp or bee venom allergies.
It is also possible with individual pollen that trigger allergic asthma or hay fever. It is mainly used for patients under 5 years of age and younger patients. For this purpose, the specific allergenic substance is injected into the skin (or placed under the tongue) in very small doses.
The dosage is increased over at least three years. This should allow the immune system to become accustomed to the allergen. The success rate is up to 65% and is particularly favourable for young patients and allergies only against one trigger.
Some studies have shown that infants who are breastfed in the first 6 months of life have a lower rate of allergies. In children whose parents suffer from allergic reactions and in whom breastfeeding is not possible, a diet with so-called hypoallergenic milk food can be considered.