Common allergies | Therapy of an allergy

Common allergies

The nickel allergy is a so-called “contact allergy“. Nickel itself is a vital metal that occurs naturally in the body. However, external contact with the skin can lead to harmful reactions.

Nickel is contained in many everyday objects such as jewellery, belts, paints or batteries. In contrast to many other allergies, contact allergy almost exclusively manifests itself with symptoms of the skin. In the long term it can lead to unpleasant eczema (skin rash with redness, scaling or blistering).

The nickel allergy itself cannot be treated, but the symptoms can. The most important preventive measure is to avoid substances containing nickel. Furthermore, good skin care should be applied to keep the skin flora and thus the barrier for foreign substances from the outside upright and intact.

For the treatment of the allergic symptoms mainly creams are used which suppress the immune reaction. The most common products of this category are creams containing cortisone. However, numerous modern substances can also influence the immune system without cortisone.

You can find detailed information on this topic at Nickel Allergy

  • Redness,
  • Itchy,
  • Pain,
  • Skin changes
  • And rashes. An allergy to tattoos is rare, but can lead to pleasant symptoms with consequences. If ink is not the only colouring agent used in tattooing, contact allergies to the additives can occur.

The contact allergy causes only minor circulatory reactions, but is mainly focused On almost all tattooed people pain, redness and swelling occur for a short time. Allergic reactions are often first noticed because these symptoms persist for an unusually long time. Even dizziness and fever can occur as a result.

If the allergy is 100% confirmed by a medical test, the tattoo must often be removed, otherwise the symptoms will persist permanently. Creams, lotions and ointments often only provide relief for the duration of use. – redness,

  • Swelling,
  • Deflections
  • And skin lesions on the tattooed area.

How do you treat an allergy to an insect bite?

Insect bite allergies in Germany are mostly wasp, bee and mosquito stings. Without an allergy these are usually annoying but harmless. However, around 20% of people in Germany are allergic to insect bites.

These can be more or less pronounced and cause symptoms ranging from unpleasant itching to anaphylactic reactions with circulatory failure. Therapy must also be tailored to the various symptoms and the danger they pose. Toxins and the allergens they contain differ greatly between bees, wasps and mosquitoes, so an allergy to one insect does not result in an allergy to another insect.

If the extent of such an allergy is already known, medication should be kept ready in case of a sting. These include an adrenaline pen in an emergency to prevent an imminent circulatory failure. Mild allergic symptoms should be observed first.

The allergen must be avoided immediately and the affected person should not be outdoors if possible or only wear insect repellent. If available, so-called antihistamines can be taken. They relieve mild allergic symptoms and also help against all other types of allergy.

Severe allergies may have to be treated with cortisone. This is a medication that strongly suppresses the immune system. This can be administered in tablet form or intravenously by a doctor.

In the case of severe circulatory reactions, adrenaline therapy can also be administered to prevent a drop in blood pressure and circulatory failure. This must be done especially in the allergic form of the anaphylactic reaction. – Allergy to bee venom

  • Allergic reaction to a mosquito bite