How do you distinguish an allergy from an inflamed insect bite? | How do you recognise an allergy to mosquito bites?

How do you distinguish an allergy from an inflamed insect bite?

An inflamed insect bite is usually caused by manipulation of the mosquito bite. This means that the skin barrier in the area of the mosquito bite has been damaged by scratching, for example. This allows pathogens to penetrate and ignite the mosquito bite.

Typical here is pus formation, which can often be detected externally by a pus bulge. In addition, milky secretion often empties to the point of pus if the skin tension is exceeded. The occurrence of pain and fever is not specific to an inflamed insect bite, as these symptoms can also occur in the case of an allergy.

< In summary, it can therefore be said that an inflamed mosquito bite develops at the bottom of a “normal mosquito bite” and only in the course of at least 2 days. In case of an allergy, the signs of inflammation (redness, swelling, overheating, pain) usually develop very quickly – usually within minutes to hours. In addition, specific accompanying symptoms such as circulatory problems or shortness of breath can develop.

A circulatory symptom does not occur in the case of an inflamed insect bite, nor does shortness of breath. However, if it is unclear in individual cases whether an allergy or additional inflammation is involved, a doctor should be consulted.